miércoles, 14 de noviembre de 2012


From the Tuesday assessment class, I broke some misunderstandings that I had about the difference between the concept of assessment and evaluation. I as many people, used to think that both concepts remain the same, but they are too far distance from reality.

Assessment is a complete process which involves information gathering and analysis of some issues that appears from time to time. While on the other hand, evaluation means a determination of a subject's merit, worth it by using criteria stablished by a set of standards.


Therefore, in order to conclude I would say that the purpose of this class is to break the paradigm and make people get involved in the process of assessment in education. So, what I like to say is that the process of second language evaluation as life itself is a matter of decision-facing and decision-making, since the very beginning that the class starts.

4 comentarios:

  1. I,as Leonardo, had the same misunderstanding and maybe, had not thought about that until the beginning of the assessment class. I think that making the differentiation between the two terms is important in order to develop better teaching and learning processes.

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Even though assessing and evaluating are two very different processes, both have a considerable importance in the language learning process; since a student not only needs to be classified in an exact level to be given a determination according to an standardized criteria but also, he requires different kind of feedback. Teachers need to create new ways of approaching the students evolution regarding the target language.

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Remember that, there is also feedback for all the Stakeholders, I mean, not only students, but also teachers, curriculum designers and administrators who are in charged of selecting the materials that teachers may use in the classroom. All this process of assesment includes an over and over self evaluation. Ass Leonardo said in order to make desicions just at the right time. :)

    ResponderEliminar
  4. As my classmates, I have never thought about the differences between assessement and evaluation before, I used think it was the same thing. However, after my Assessment class these two concepts were clear and I consider that we as teacher have to know that these two process, although they are not the same, they are essential in order to carry out a better teaching and learning process.

    ResponderEliminar